Zhou has diverse experiences combining instructional technology (in which he received a doctoral degree from Teachers College in 2016), software engineering, educational data mining, cognitive science, educational games, and second language learning. He comes from Kunming (the Spring City), China.
Zhou joined EdLab in 2008. He has worked on numerous software engineering projects including Vialogues, New Learning Times, TC Route Finder, Pressible, YoungArts Master Class, etc. He has also been conducting research on educational technology.
Zhou is currently working on the following research and development projects/ideas:
- The next generation of Vialogues which I hope will support features such as live streaming, learning analytics, MOOC integration, 360 degree videos, and so on.
- Adaptive educational search and recommendations of heterogeneous learning resources. Educators can utilize this system to build comprehensive multimedia online curricula, and students can enhance their learning experiences by consuming a wide range of resources tailored to their needs.
- Learning analytics in the Smith Learning Theater. I am working with other colleagues to install the Quuppa location trackers in the Theater, build a server to collect users' location data, and conduct data mining on how people learn in the Theater. This project will help us understand how the physical space design, pedagogical support, and technology scaffold collectively support various types of learning activities in the Theater.
- The design and development of instructional technology - in particular, Internet of Things - in physical learning environments.
- Technology education curriculum reform - how to help instructional technology, software engineering, and computer science students get ready for their future careers and remain competitive in their lifelong learning in an era of drastically evolving technologies.