Although most of us know that the iPad is still by far the best seller in the tablet market, I am intrigued by how Amazon has envisioned that I wanted to find out how the Kindle Fire entry changed the Android segment of tablets. I found the graphic below to be really helpful.
Kindle Fire almost toppled the earlier leader, Samsung, since its launch at the end of 2011 :
For more information click
I came across this interesting article, which highlights how entrepreneurs are realizing that building an educational startup is not easy and who is to be blamed when one fails.
Need to know about:
python libraries available for machine learning:
1) Nltk - highly recommended for NLP as well
2) scikits.learn (fast uses scipy)
Doing the real time notifications the python way :
def handle(socket, address):
print 'new connection!'
server = StreamServer(('127.0.0.1',1234), handle)
gevent.wsgi (Fast ~4k requests/s)
No streaming, pipelining or ssl
slower("only" 3k requests/s)
from gevent import pywsgi
def hello_world(enc, start_response)
yield ' Hello World'
Mongodb in action
data is not flat as is there in rdbms.
query in adhoc manner
document like structure - denormalized form of data
There is no join in the mongodb
Data writes are atomic.
they do banking - embed documents into another documents.
Schema - design criteria
- How can we manipulate this data
a) Dynamic Queries
b) Secondary Indexes
c) Map Reduce
d) Atomic Updates
a) Read/Write ratio
b) Type of updates
c) Types of queries
d) Data life-cycle
Attached are the presentations for EdLab's Development & Research meeting for anyone who missed it.
I am sharing the link for the workshop and presentations that were done at CMU's Summer school for Educational Data mining. It covers many areas like
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems
- Educational Data Mining tools and resources
- In Vivo experiments
I was browsing through some of the startup digest emails which I get every other week, and stumbled upon this article.
In short, it talks about how in 50 hours, one can create startup and things one should do to take their startup to the next level (probably a mid-size company).
Intelligent tutor system (ITS) was started by Kurt VanLehn in 2006
Each ITS system consists of
1) Task domain
2) Task - a multi minute activity that can be skipped or interchanged with other tasks.
3) Step - completing many tasks at once
1) Knowledge Component - a task domain concept principle, fact, etc. Any fragment of the persistent domain specific information that should be used to accomplish tasks.
2) Learning Event: - A mental event and the construction or application of a knowledge component often while trying to achieve a task.
3) Incorrect: In...
A new recommendation engine developed by Carnegie Mellon University spin off called sense.ly
Friends' opinions and relatives' suggestions are often important factors in people's
everyday decisions. What if one application were able to synthesize all of their recommendations into one source through Facebook? in short Sense.ly
Read more about how Sense.ly was formed.