Pressible 0.1 is ready for your content!
We are excited to announce the release of Pressible 0.1
today! This is a very experimental release, though we are hoping you (the lab) and others hop on board and give it a try! Please see our features
page for more details, but in a nutshell:
Also, here are some things we think are cool about the project as a whole:
- We're responding to Gary's vision for EdLab's publishing work that he's been articulating for at least the past year: Make a "powerful, networked, lightweight publishing solution for the TC community." And: "It should be a whole new genre for publishing." Well, no small task, to be sure, but we think Pressible is at least the beginning of an answer!
- Pressible is highly "templated" -- meaning that users can't change much about the design of their site. Is this a good or bad idea? (Is it good or bad for Facebook?) In any case, it allows us to try some things out that wouldn't be possible otherwise. Watch for more visual elements in the future.
- We think Pressible is a reinvention of blogging as a vehicle for publishing your ideas and work to the web in a fast, intuitive, and powerful way. Will you? Let us know!
- It's hosted entirely in the cloud -- a new experiment for an EdLab application.
- It's built on the back of WordPress. We did kung fu on the data WordPress throws around to create cool results now, and even cooler results in the future.
- Right now it's experimental, but we are hoping it can mature into a fully-fledged software project hosted by the Gottesman Libraries. We think it can become a way to not only serve the TC community (and alumni), but also individuals and organizations around the world.
- We hope you break it. Really... we're ready to learn from our mistakes. So if you do, let us know!
We hope this is the beginning of a new stage in the lab's exploration of the future of publishing (hey, it may also be the end of the road!), and are excited to invite the lab to join us moving forward. We envision a lot of other features and functionality that did not make this release, and there are probably things we haven't even considered yet.
So, what are you waiting for? Sign up for Pressible
today and begin your next big publishing project!