What is Computer Vision
What is Computer Vision
Wikipedia - Computer vision is an interdisciplinary field that deals with how computers can be made to gain high-level understanding from digital images or videos.
How does Computer Vision Work
Images, even large sets, can be acquired in real-time through video, photos or 3D technology for analysis.
Processing the image/video
Deep learning models automate much of this process, but the models are often trained by first being fed thousands of labeled or pre-identified images.
Understanding the image/video
Identify/classify the objects in the image/video
- Image segmentation partitions an image into multiple regions or pieces to be examined separately.
- Object detection identifies a specific object in an image. Advanced object detection recognizes many objects in a single image: a football field, an offensive player, a defensive player, a ball and so on. These models use an X,Y coordinate to create a bounding box and identify everything inside the box.
- Facial recognition is an advanced type of object detection that not only recognizes a human face in an image, but identifies a specific individual.
- Edge detection is a technique used to identify the outside edge of an object or landscape to better identify what is in the image.
- Pattern detection is a process of recognizing repeated shapes, colors and other visual indicators in images.
- Image classification groups images into different categories.
- Feature matching is a type of pattern detection that matches similarities in images to help classify them.
History of Computer Vision
Using some of the first neural network to detect the edges of an object and to sort simple objects into categories like circles and squares.
Computer vision interpreted typed or handwritten text using optical character recognition. This advancement was used to interpret written text for the blind.
Making large sets of images available online for analysis, facial recognition programs flourished. These growing data sets helped make it possible for machines to identify specific people in photos and videos.
Today, a number of factors have converged to bring about a renaissance in computer vision.
- Mobile technology with built-in cameras has saturated the world with photos and videos.
- Computing power has become more affordable and easily accessible.
- Hardware designed for computer vision and analysis is more widely available.
- New algorithms like convolutional neural networks can take advantage of the hardware and software capabilities.
Application of Computer Vision
Resemble Jigsaw Puzzle
Object Detection and Tracking
Who is Using Computer Vision
Defense and Security