Did you know that August 13th is International Left-Handers Day? The annual observance began in 1976, when Dean R. Campbell, founder of Lefthanders International, Inc., decided it was time to recognize all those who use their left hand in a predominantly right-handed world -- approximately 7-10% of the entire population -- amounting to a certain difference and uniqueness of persons. Also known as lefties, the famous include former presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George Bush, and Gerald Ford; members of the British royal family, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William; prominent writers Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, and Hans Christian Andersen; scientist genius Albert Einstein; artist Leonardo DaVinci, and many others. No longer considered a disadvantage, children born left handed often are found to be highly creative and sportive, but some believe they also more prone to psychological disorders. Aristotle was also a southpaw, though his contemporaries associated left-handedness with immoral, even criminal behavior.
The following articles are drawn from Proquest Historical Newspapers, which informs and inspires classroom teaching and learning.
This selection raises concerns associated with being left-handed, while also weighing the dominant side of the brain.
- Broder, M. (1978, Jun 27). Left Out But Not Forgotten. Newsday (1940-1991)
- McInerney, T. (1979, Jul 22). All In Favor, Please Raise Their Left Hands. Newsday (1940-1991)
- Horn, D. (1988, Aug 09). Lefties Are Demanding Their Rights. Chicago Tribune (1963-1996)
- AF. (1992, Aug 15). Left Write Left. The Times of India (1861-Current) Retrieved from
- Chaim Bermant Straight Left Against the Right-Handers. (1992, Aug 16). The Observer (1901- 2003)
- Left Out No More. (1998, Aug 31). The Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current File)
- Silverton, P. (2000, Aug 13). On the Other Hand...: Colour-Blindness, Dyslexia, High Mortality and Unsavoury Reputations. Are There Any Advantages To Being Left-Handed, Wonders Peter Silverton. The Observer (1901- 2003)
- Morgan, E. (2003, Aug 13). Left-Handers' Plight In a Right-Handers' World: The Taoiseach Is a Left-Hander, As Many Leaders Have Been. So Are There Any Advantages To Being a Ciotog. The Irish Times (1921-Current File)
- Holden, L. (2004, Aug 10). Left Hand, Right Brain- But Which Comes First?: Friday Is International Left-Handers Day. The Irish Times (1921-Current File)
- Left To Their Devices: Famous Southpaws. (2005, Aug 07). The Times of India (1861-Current)
- Bruner, Jerome. S. On Knowing: Essays for the Left Hand. Cambridge, Mass: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1979. LB885.B79 O5 1979. e-book
- Davidson, Michael. Concerto for the Left Hand: Disability and the Defamiliar Body. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, c2008. e-book.
- Person's Left Hand Holding Green Leaf, by Alena Koval, Courtesy Pixels
Need to keep current, look to the past, teach a topic? The Everett Cafe features daily postings of news from around the world, and also promotes awareness of historical events from an educational context. Be sure to check additional Cafe News postings on the library blog.