Your Mind Online: How Is Your Use of Technology Affecting Your Life?
shed many enlightening thoughts, observations, and experiences. Summarized are the main themes that emerged in our inspiring Socratic conversation that openly and honestly probed the topic of technology and its influences on our daily lives.
- We are our own gate-keepers now - critical thinking and smart/sensible uses of technology are highly relevant educational needs in today’s world.
- Being connected is now the default -- we have to intercede to get people to disconnect.
- There is great utility of "web in your pocket" for serviceable information, ranging from headphones and horticulture, to finding an apt., to "I can find my own answers."
- We can’t escape intrusions and depredations of one's privacy (recalling the tragedy of Tyler Clementi, the shy Rutgers student, among others).
- There are very interesting and illuminating BOOKS to help us understand this new environment in which we're swimming.
- Involvement in digital culture runs the full gamut from thorough-going Ludditism, to measured participation, to full-fledged (on the "seductiveness" of listservs).
- We still can shape our experience with these new media to serve our own purposes. (See Sherry Turkle's Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other).
What do you THINK?
[caption id="attachment_12603" align="alignright" width="150" caption=" "]
Referencing our Socratic Conversation, Your Mind Online
, with Ronald Gross, held on Thursday, 9/23