The Division of Nursing Education was founded in 1899 and run by its first administrative directors, M. Adelaide Nutting and Isabel M. Stewart. The program grew from its original enrollment of two students to being the largest department in Teachers College in 1947 with over 1,000 students. It was the only program of its kind in the country for twenty years, and played a major role in shaping and standardizing nursing education in the US. The original mission of the program was to “give some preparation for the higher and more responsible positions in hospital work, to improve the education and training of nurses, and to promote uniformity in basic curricula and methods of teaching.” Embedded, then, in the mission of the Division of Nursing Education was both educating nurses and creating the standards by which others might teach nursing education.
Cornerstone of Nursing Education, Teresa E. Christy: URL: RT81.N3C45 http://educat.tc.columbia.edu/search/c?SEARCH=RT81.N3C45&sortdropdown=-&searchscope=6&submit=Submit
Library Researcher(s): Anne Hays