Hi! I've had many requests a summary of new Apple stuff from their keynote last week. I highlight the main ideas and what I think is interesting. I embedded lots of links if you want more details.
In General: The new iPhones have updated processors that Apple calls the A12 Bionic. Besides a snappy UI, the new chip is suppose to bring to fruition the next generation of apps, which Apple is betting will be using augmented reality.
- There are also new cameras on these phones. Better focus on subjects. Ability to adjust depth of field after the shot.
- The displays have been updated.
- Face ID is better now.
- iPhone Xr: Pretty much has the same body as the iPhone X. The screen is updated with an LCD screen that Apple calls "Liquid Retina". More durable materials. Single back camera.
- iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max: Again, similar looks to the iPhone X. The Max version has the biggest screen size ever on an iPhone. More durable materials. Dual back cameras.
- They discontinued the iPhone SE :( their smallest and most affordable phone. Personally I think it was the best looking too.
- Apple Watch 4: Larger display with rounded corners. Health monitor that notifies you if you have low/high heart rate and if you fall. Improved workout tracker.
iOS 12 is a pretty big update with some cool features. The Screen Time app allows you to track how much you use your phone and which apps take most of your attention. There are also updates to Notifications to limit how disrupting they are. There are tons of iMessage and FaceTime updates that use AR that you can check out in the link above. Most of the social AR updates reflect what is already available in instagram and snapchat.
New SDKs (software development kits):
What I Like:
Dust and water resistance. I used to be a big fan of these.
Their commitment to security. For example iMessage and FaceTime are encrypted end-to-end meaning nobody, not even Apple, can see your communications. Also, Safari has taken major steps in stopping advertisers from identifying you based on browsing habits (link).
The keynote just briefly mentioned environmental stats which I'm really interested in. iPhones are being built in modular components so they can be taken apart easily and reused in next generation iPhones (link). Also Apple continues to reduce and eliminate harmful substances from their electronics which is good news for our health.