The first paper on the NED project
has been completed! If you are interested, download the Word doc
One interesting bit about co-authoring this paper was using Google Docs
to write it concurrently with Matthew and Hui Soo. I've used Google Docs for stand-alone writing, but never used the concurrence capabilities. Some cool things about Google Docs for co-writing include:
- Fairly good concurrence capabilities. We didn't seem to loose any work because of overwrites, etc.
- The feature which displays who is also working on the document alongside you
- The interface is generally easy to use
- The table mechanism needs some work
- The Word export mangled the tables terribly, and the formatting was pretty weird
- Occasional formating hangups (a word won't turn italic no matter how many times you hit Ctrl-I)
The Web browser as application-host has a lot of potential, especially for the concurrence capabilities, but I think it could use more work on the bread and potatoes features (e.g., single user word processing features).