I don't generally dedicate a whole blog post to a single "big box" news piece, however, this video and short article are worth sharing (though sadly not extractable for Vialogues) in relation to our 4th floor reno plans.
New Milford H.S. Library Media Specialist, Laura Fleming (I will pitch her for a NLT Profile), has created a makerspace within her H.S. library. In the video it is clear that this open-ended "space" has inspired at least a few learners to pursue careers in STEM and spawned many interesting "DIY/Maker" projects (fruit-based video game console etc.).
This particular makerspace is interesting for a few reasons:
1) Costs were lowered by soliciting donated 3D printers & maker materials
2) The space will be completely reconfigured every year
3) Learners can visit at any time and are free to explore at will
4) The "space" is really just an open area within a traditional library that features tech "bars" and work tables
5) The "take-apart" station seems intriguing...
6) This space is tied-into Fleming's World's of Learning @ New Milford digital badge/gamified professional development program