Found this django payments app. It enables the use of multiple payment processors from a single API. A good resource to easily integrate payments with EdLab django apps.
I attended the Django testing meetup today with Megha. In the meetup Adam Nelson, CTO of Yipit demonstrated Lettuce and Splinter, two of the more famous tools used for testing Django applications. At EdLab we have used various tools for testing our existing Django applications like Selenium and Adobe browser lab etc. with very minimal satisfaction.
Lettuce is based on a behavioral driven development testing framework which allows collaboration between developers, QA and non-technical or business participants in a software project.
The NY TImes reports that Apollo group, which runs University of Phoenix, will pay $75 million to buy Carnegie Learning. This is great news for Carnegie Learning. I came to know about their work at the Intelligent Tutoring Systems conference last year and some of the technologies they built have been outstanding.
George and I are attending this session from GoingOn. Through the focused deployment of social network and online technologies, GoingOn provides a unique academic life platform that enriches social and intellectual dimensions of the student experience.
Angela, Jo and I represented EdLab at the Silicon Alley Talent Fair yesterday. More than 150 startups participated in the event.
Some key take aways that I had from the event -
1. Do not rely on the free wireless. Always be prepared to tether your mobile device with your laptop to demo tools.
2. Looking at the number of startups in the event no doubt New York is not far behind silicon valley.
3. I think timing of the event was not one of the best, many students have already started their internships and new jobs.
4. Prepare a very short 140 character elevator pitch for your products. Because you will have to repeat it millions of times :)
5. People are really interested in Education and how technology is making education better.
6. Its a good idea to have ping pong tables in such events. The informality of the event made applicants and employers have frank discussions.
DonorsChoose.org is organizing "Hacking Education: A Developer and Data Cruncher Hackathon" this Saturday. This will be a really good opportunity to explore the API offered by other services such as Hunch and FourSquare and we will also get our hands dirty with the data provided by DonorsChoose.org